"This has been mostly a sheep day, and of course studies have been interrupted." John Muir

Thursday, August 24, 2006

A little treat

I made these yesterday and have felt better. Alex says I bake when I'm depressed, but I think I bake to quit being depressed.

Orange-Currant Scones
3 cups all purpose flour
Scant
1/2 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound
cold butter (2 sticks)
1 tablespoon freshly grated orange rind (about two
oranges)
1 large egg
1/2 cup whole milk

Heat oven to 350
degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Combine the flour,
sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and mix well. Cut in the butter
until it is the size of small peas. Add the currants and orange zest, and toss
to distribute them.
Whisk together the egg and milk. Add to the dry
ingredients and mix and fold until the dough masses and the flour is absorbed.
The dough may be a little streaky.
Divide the dough in half, and shape into
2 balls. Pat each one into a 6- to 7-inch circle on a lightly floured surface.
Roll about 1 inch thick, and cut like a pie into 6 wedges each.
Bake until
golden brown and firm to the touch, about 25 to 30 minutes.
I often substitute raisins for the currants and manage to eat them all just fine.

2 Comments:

Blogger pinknest said...

why substitute for raisins?! i love currants! they're much sweeter.

3:25 PM

 
Blogger Brett said...

Currants are good, but I don't think I eat them fast enough, or at least I don't know how to store them right. Whenever I go to my currant stash, they've gotten all dried up and more shriveled than they're supposed to be!

5:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home